Wednesday 27 June 2012

New Orleans / New york (take 1)

I am writing this blog from my phone, so I do appologise for my spelling mistakes!
I have been very busy over the past week. It has felt like a life time. It dosen't feel like I've been away for just over two weeks, it feels like it's been months already!
At new Orleans (pronounced NwOrlns) I had an amazing view from my bedroom window. I was located on the 40th floor, the top of the hotel. It was spectacular to say the least, I could see for miles around me, and the lights from the buildings lit the sky at night!
I used the street cars all the time I was there, they were great.
I used it as a hop on hop off bus! I travelled to the Art distict, and walked along the streets with art galleries. I then visited the National World War 2 museum. I loved all of the short films they had, and learnt so much more about the American side of the war. As I only had the afternoon there, I found It hard to see everything in detail, as there was so much information, and I had walked alot that day already!
The only people I know that manage to do this is my father, and Rhidian my brother. So, I guess I have'nt  inherited this gene...
I rode the street car around the Garden district, and watched all the expencive houses pass by. Along the avenue there were many trees, most covered colourful beads, from past mardigra celebrations.. watching the sun set in this part of the city was bliss.
The next day I decidet to travel on the street car to The french Market, with many shops surounding it. I visited the famous Cafe Du Mande, and ate beignets, almost everyone told me to experience it! They were nice, and cheap, the powdered sugar was everywere!
As I explored the streets I bought many things; including a ice ball, and gumbo. It was very hot, and the hot sun made it tiring to walk around. The ambiance was thrilling, and I sat in a local cafe to listen to some jazz. It was great! I would recomend it to everyone!
Food is very important to the people of New Orleans, and I could see that being expressed on every corner. The food was fried, or in a sandwich. Most of it seafood, like 'Po-boys' or 'crawfish etoufe' I am almost certain that they mean 'cray fish' as it looked exactly the same! But it was delicious.
During the night I heard a unfamiliar siren. I was half sleeping, thinking it was my alarm, and went back to sleep. A few minutes later, a loud message said 'We thank you for your patience, and your cooporation during the fire alarm, and we appologise for any inconvenience this might have caused.' I was so confused, as I could barely remember a fire alarm in the first place! And thought that if it was serious they would have got me out of bed.

The flight from New Orleans to Ny, was a bit of a disaster. As Delta airlines had diverted the plane to Detroit due to bad weather, and didn't have enough petrol to fly to Ny. After landing late there, we were told that there was an hour to change the plane. Once we were back on the plane, we recived the message that we had missed our time to leave the air port, and wouldent get to Jfk. The filght we were on was there by canceled!!
So after waiting in line for a while, we eventually got a new flight to Jfk that night. Another hour delay followed, and had arrived at the hostel at 1am the next morning. What a day, in the end we all found it hilarious that a proffesional airline could be so unorganised.


I enjoyed my first brekfast in Ny, as it was a taste of home, a sausage and egg muffin, with tea! I walked to the public library, and to times square. I visited The disney store, Toys R us, M&M world, and hershey's world. I genuinly felt like a kid again, it was brilliant! I had so much fun!
I will be moving to the sheraton Brooklyn hotel tomorrow, and be leaving on my Contiki tour for 13 days on Friday. I look forward to meeting new people and visiting Canada for the first time!
Cariad mawr, Luned. X



1 comment:

  1. Swnio'n gret. Amlwg dy fod yn 'foodie' go iawn. Gobeithio byddi di'n cael cwmni pobl gyfeillgar ar y tour. Mae'n teimlo i ni dy fod wedi bod bant ers misoedd hefyd. Brysia nol. MAM X

    ReplyDelete